Come one, come all—artists and non-artists, adults and children! We invite you to draw or paint a work based on an object or photograph in our Museum collection. Come in Monday through Saturday, 10 am – 2 pm and work directly from one of the pieces you see on display or find a photograph here on our Facebook page or on our website www.weirtonareamuseum.com and recreate it on paper or canvas.
Once your work is complete, drop it off or mail it to the Weirton Area Museum & Cultural Center (drop off: 3149 Main Street / mail: P.O. Box 517 Weirton, WV 26062), and we will put the work on display as well as have a panel of jurors choose two works that will be used to create 1’ x 3’ vertical banners like the example you see in this post. These two banners will then hang, along with the banner pictured here, in the large display window of our neighboring building. The names of the creators of the winning works will be included in a caption beneath the banner image.
1) Celebrate our community members’ amazing creativity!
2) Help you--our community both near and far--get closer to our rich local history through our collections and historical photographs.
3) Do our part to beautify downtown with your creations!
What are we looking for? Any specific media? Do you have to be an artist?
1) We’re looking for how YOU see and connect with the objects in our collection.
2) There is no limit on media. Crayons, markers, watercolors, oils, pens, pencil—all media is welcome!
3) Do you have to be an artist? No way! Create and enjoy the process! All works will be proudly displayed in an exhibition here at the Museum.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: 2:00 pm EST on Tuesday, September 15, 2020! If you have questions, please stop in between 10 am and 2 pm or call us at (304) 224-1909, and we'll be happy to answer them!
Our example banner features an ink drawing based on a photograph of Paul Slanchik, who worked as a conductor at Weirton Steel’s Open Hearth from 1927-1967. (The Museum thanks Edie Slanchik Staffileno for this information on her father.)